On 1 November, during the Holy Mass celebrated by Mons. Giuseppe Oliveri, Vicar General of the Archdiocese of Palermo, Mons. Gaetano Tulipano, Officer of the Order of Saints Maurice and Lazarus took up office as parish priest of the church of Sant’Antonio Abate Magno. The ancient church, which was built in the 13th century, was the church of the Senate of the city of Palermo over the centuries.
The church, which is one of the city’s oldest, has existed since 1220. Over the centuries it acquired the typical architectural structure we see today, based on a Greek cross that is also mirrored on the façade that maintains almost square portions. The bell tower, built in 1302-1313, features the Praetorian bell that was used by the city’s Senate to summon the people
The ceremony was attended by several authorities, both religious and lay, including the Mayor of the Sicilian capital city, Hon. Leoluca Orlando. Several illustrious figures and friends of the Dynastic Orders participated with deep feeling in the solemn ceremony, also including the Deputy Delegate and Vicar for Palermo. Good wishes were sent to Rev. Mons. Tulipano by His Excellency the Grand Chancellor to congratulate him on the important appointment.
Finally, in the afternoon, the representatives of the Dynastic Orders visited the church of Maria Santissima della Pietà to venerate, by the concession of the parish priest, the relics of the Blessed Margarita of Savoy, which are treasured here.