FOSSANO – With resolution no. 1 – January 16th 2018 – the City Council has adopted the new brand aimed at promoting the City of Fossano.
The new brand, which does not replace the historic emblem of the City filed by the “Honors and Heraldry” Office within the Council Presidency, will have the task of representing the City of Fossano in all its cultural and tourist-related promotion initiatives.
With great attention to the centenary history of the City the new graphic project has been able to summarize the most important components of urban heraldry.
The heart of the emblem, as stylized in the new brand, includes the six bands, three white and three black, representing the six historic villages of the City.
This bandage, already included in the oldest version of the emblem of Fossano, a miniature from 1444, is the same background of the emblem of the House of Savoy. The emblem was reported here recalling the fresco on the facade of the Oggero-Brunetti Opera, in Via Craveri.
In 1418 Fossano passed in fact under the direct protection of the Duke Amedeo VIII of Savoy, who turned the Castle of the Princes of Acaja, also hinted in the logo, into a stately home and began a period of great splendor, culminating in 1559 with the transfer of the residence and court of Emanuele Filiberto.
In 1562, then, with the “Treaty of Fossano”, Turin was re-annexed to the Sabaudian rule and the Duke of Savoy conceded then to Fossano the title of City for its loyalty to the crown. The motto “Fidelitas insigna”, still present in the historical emblem of the Municipality, was donated by the Duke to the city on that occasion.
The mention of the Sabaudian emblem at the center of the new brand was an important recognition of the historical value of the House of Savoy for the City of Fossano, a memory of a mutual gratitude through history.