Skip to content

THE EMILIA ROMAGNA DELEGATION CELEBRATES THE 86TH ANNIVERSARY OF THE GOLDEN ROSE AWARDED TO HM QUEEN ELENA OF SAVOY

On 15 April, a Holy Mass was held in Bologna at the Church of San Donnino to celebrate the 86th anniversary of the granting of the Golden Rose to HM Queen Elena of Savoy. The Golden Rose is a recognition from the Pope reserved for sovereigns who have distinguished themselves for their Christian work. It was instituted in 1049 by decision of Pope Leo IX and the first recorded donation took place in 1096. From the very beginning, it was intended solely for Kings and Queens, and since 1759 it has only been awarded to Queens.

The Golden Rose was presented to Queen Helena of Savoy in 1937 by Pope Pius XI for her charitable commitment to the needy, the poor, the sick, for her work in assisting the wounded during the First World War, for her prompt intervention following the Messina and Reggio Calabria earthquake of 1908 and for her evangelisation work.

The Ceremony, organised by the Deputy of Bologna Cav. OMS Raffaele Galliani, in agreement with the Delegate for the Emilia-Romagna Region Cav. Gr. Cr. OMS Gen. C.A. Antonio De Vita, saw the participation of over seventy Attendees with the effective coordination of OSSML Grand Officer Avv. Claudio Angeli, Provincial Deputy of Ravenna and Ferrara, as Master of Ceremonies.

Following the opening procession at 11:00 a.m., the Holy Mass was celebrated by the Prior of the Delegation Mgr. Oreste Leonardi together with the Provincial Deputy for Piacenza Cav. Rev. Don Stefano Antonelli, who recalled the value of granting the Golden Rose with a brief speech during the homily.

Among those present were the Regional Delegate and, in addition to the Dames and Knights of the Dynastic Orders of the Royal House of Savoy, the Guards of Honour at the Royal Tombs of the Pantheon with the newly appointed Regional Inspector for Emilia-Romagna Cav. OSSML Dr. Paolo Alberto Casadio Malagola.

Also present, at the express invitation of the AICODS Regional Delegate, with a much-appreciated new approach in terms of sharing the event, were the Bologna Delegate for the Equestrian Order of the Holy Sepulchre of Jerusalem, the Grand Priory Delegate of the Eastern Emilia-Romagna Delegation for the Sovereign Order of Malta and the Bologna representative of the Franco-Neapolitan branch of the Sacred Military Constantinian Order of Saint George.

Another distinguished participant at the Ceremony was Dr. Pier Felice degli Uberti, President of the International Commission of Orders of Chivalry.

After the ceremony, a charity lunch was held at the Savoia Regency Hotel, during which the Regional Delegate of the Dynastic Orders presented Mgr. Oreste Leonardi with the Diploma of Officer of the Order of Saints Maurice and Lazarus, and donations were collected for the A.N.T..

Share

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on email
Share on whatsapp